Swords of Our Fathers
Now Available Through RPGNow.com!
A fantasy d20 System sourcebook by JD Wiker.
Magic swords in d20 System games are usually temporary tools. A player character gets a magic sword, uses it for a few levels, then sells it off when a better one comes along. But wouldn't you like your character to have truly powerful weapons like King Arthur's Excalibur, like Sting, and Glamdring from The Lord of the Rings, or like Stormbringer and Mournblade from Michael Moorcock's Elric novels?
Swords of Our Fathers gives player characters a reason to hang on to their magic weapons. The legendary swords found in this book are powerful enough to be useful at high levels, but they mete out their powers bit by bit, so that the GM needn't worry about putting a too powerful a weapon into the hands of a low-level character. The weapons increase in power as the wielders advance in level.
The magic blades in Swords of Our Fathers offer minor powers to any wielder, but grant their better abilities to those wielders who take one of four new prestige classes: the scion classes. The wielder unlocks new abilities of the weapon by advancing in the weapon's associated prestige class. In short, the prestige classes reward the player for keeping a weapon.
Swords of Our Fathers shows you how to make it so that there's no such thing as a "generic +1 sword" and ensure that every magic weapon in your campaign has the possibility to be the weapon of a lifetime for the right character.
Links and Downloads
Free Samples from the Artifacts of the Ages Series
- The Mind Scion, additional rules for psionic scions and their legendary weapons (622KB Zipped PDF)
- Mother's Venom, a legendary weapon from AotA:S&S (514KB Zipped PDF)
- Gamaliel, Keeper of the White Blade, a legendary weapon from AotA:LW (514KB Zipped PDF)
- Nyctophobos, a legendary weapon from SoOF and AotA:S&S (349KB Zipped PDF)
- Samadhi, the Staff of Transfiguration, a legendary weapon from AotA:S&S (523KB Zipped PDF)
- Ruanaidh, a free battle scion (452KB Zipped PDF)
- Zehir, the Poison Ring, a legendary ring from AotA:R (375KB Zipped PDF)
- A page of art development sketches from AotA:Rings
- A page of art development sketches from AotA:LW
Reviews for the Artifacts of the Ages Series
Reviews for Swords of Our Fathers
Reviews for Artifacts of the Ages: Swords & Staves
Reviews for Artifacts of the Ages: Rings
41-page PDF for players and DMs (plus included cover).
Available as a 1.9MB download from RPGNow.com for only US$5.00.
Written by JD Wiker, designer of products such as the Star Wars Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook, the Dark Side Sourcebook, and the Dark*Matter Arms & Equipment Guide. Art by Clarence Harrison. Edited by Penny Williams. Layout and design by Marc Schmalz. Cover Design by Jefferson Dunlap.
Requires the use of the Dungeons & Dragons®, Third Edition Core Books, published by Wizards of the Coast, Inc. This product utilizes updated material from the v.3.5 revision.